How to Easily Keep Your JournalLife Data in the Cloud (And Easily Synchronize Between Computers, Too!)
by Ruth Folit
There’s a totally free online backup service online that you can use with JournalLife: Dropbox.com
At no cost, it allows you to save, in total, up to 2 GB (more space available, if you pay a fee) to a remote server and have access to those files from any computer connected to the internet.
You can use the Dropbox service with JournalLife for two purposes: (1) for backing up and (2) for synchronizing between multiple computers.
You can back up your JournalLife data, so if/when your computer crashes, you won’t ever lose another journal entry! It’s easier than backing up to a USB flash drive–there’s nothing to carry with you. There’s a simple video on dropbox.com that shows you the basic idea of the service and a file to download onto your computer to install Dropbox. I recommend that you go to Dropbox.com to learn more.
The files that you want to back up are in C:\My Documents\JournalLife\[YourName].
To backup your JournalLife data on Dropbox, do the following:
- First download and setup Dropbox on Computer A by going to Dropbox.com
- Using Windows Explorer (right click on the Start button and select Explorer), copy and paste the JournalLife\[YourName] folder (usually found in C:\My Docs\JournalLife) into your Dropbox folder.
- Run JournalLife and from the login screen, click the dropdown menu and select Open Existing Writer. Browse to the dropbox folder and select the [YourName] folder you just moved to the Dropbox folder. This will set it up so you are automatically keeping your journal data in the cloud. (Even if you aren’t always online, the file is copied to a Dropbox folder on your hard drive, which, when you do connect online, those files will be automatically uploaded to your dropbox remote server.)
- From now on when you log in to JournalLife, your Writer’s name will appear in the login (no need to go to Open Existing Writer again).
Follow the set off instructions above and then continue with the next three steps to synchronize with your JournalLife program on Computer B:
- On computer B, download and install JournalLife as well as downloading and installing the Dropbox.com software.
- Run JournalLife and from the login, click the dropdown menu and select Open Existing Writer.
- Browse to your dropbox folder and select the [YourName].ljd file (within the [YourName] folder, which you had set up previously on computer A.
- From now on when you log in to JournalLife from Computer B, your Writer’s name will appear in the login (no need to go to Open Existing Writer again).